A petition for guardianship of a minor child must be filed in the county in which the child resides and for an incapacitated person ordinarily in the county in which that person resides. Although many people go through this process without an attorney, there are specific forms to be filed, with rules regarding notice to parents or other guardians, and time frames to be followed.


A conservator may be appointed by the Court to manage the assets of a minor if the Court determines that the minor's assets need to be protected or if funds from such assets are needed for the child's support or education and cannot otherwise be protected or secured. A conservator may also be necessary to manage property for a person who is incapacitated due to a clinically diagnosed impairment.

Depending on the circumstances, these proceedings can be difficult to understand and accomplish. We are experienced in these proceedings and can assist you.